Advertisement

Friday, October 11, 2013

Printed Auger Part 2

I went to the Makerspace tonight to try printing more of the pet feeder pieces.  At first, I could not get the printer to print.  Nothing would stick to the surface.

I went to get something to eat and ended up at a diner across the street from the 'Space with two other Makers.  One of the guys, Ed, knows quite a bit about the Makerbot 3D printer.  When we got back to the 'Space, he analyzed the problem.  He took the left extruder apart and realized that there was a missing washer on the pin that pushed the filament to a gear.  The missing washer allowed the gear to slip on the filament.  We added one washer and tried another print.  It worked great.

Here is a picture of half of the auger that I printed.  I realized after it started that I already successfully printed this piece and did not need another one.  Oh well.

In other news, I brought a bent metal piece that attaches to my camper to the space.  Dan, the blacksmith, helped me straighten it out.  Cool!

Another great day at the Makerspace.