Friday, August 2, 2013

More 3D Printing and Other Stuff

I spent a few hours after work at the Makerspace tonight.  My main goal was to print more of the Tardis pieces.  I was moderately successful.

The Makerbot Replicator finished eight more of the parts -- the two pieces of the top, all four windows, and the two parts for the light on the top.  The extruder stopped printing once or twice.  I had to remove the filament and reload it.  Now, I know how to do that.

Also, I could not get the base or front to print correctly.  I am not sure if it was the settings I used or something with the printer.  The settings for these pieces was:

  • Infill: 5%
  • Shells: 1
  • Layer height: 0.2 mm
The settings for the pieces that worked better had an infill of 0%.  Maybe I will try printing again with 0% for the infill setting.

While I was waiting for the pieces to print, I helped Dan do some blacksmithing on the forge.  I held the heated piece on the anvil while he used a hammer and chisel to make a line on it.  Dan cut the work into small pieces that he then wrapped around other metal parts that he had forged earlier.  The end result was a trivet.

Finally, I spent some time soldering the wires in my rocket launcher.  It will now accept power from external sources.  The stupid LED still does not light but I was able to pass about 12v through the circuit.  The next step is to test it with a rocket ignitor.

No comments:

Post a Comment