Today, I spent about an hour installing the Home Environmental Sensor Array in my basement. I know. It's CHRISTmas day. But, I had some time before the in-laws came over for lunch, and I borrowed my brother-in-law's hammer drill over the weekend. I wanted to use the drill and give it to my in-laws to take back with them since my brother-in-law lives near them.
I drilled two holes in the wall with the hammer drill and screwed in two screws. I had to put nuts on the screws to keep the enclosure from falling off. The screw heads were smaller then the opening.
After hanging the HESA on the wall, I ran a network cable from my network hub in another room in the basement to the HESA. I did not have any male connectors so I put a CAT5 keystone jack on each end. Then, I plugged cables in to each keystone jack. That is not ideal but I wanted to get it done.
I plugged everything in to the enclosure and fired up the power. All the lights on the pi turned on and blinked as expected. I also plugged a night light in to the duplex power switch that the water softener is also plugged into. When the night light is on, the water softener has power as well.
Finally, I connected the cable that will detect water to the bottom of the enclosure. I started the program that looks for water and tested it. It works!
Phase one is now 95% done. I need to wrap up a few loose ends and then, I can move on to something else.